I’ve worked at the intersection of community development, gender, youth participatory media, rights-based approaches and information and communication technologies (ICTs) for almost 20 years, starting in El Salvador where I spent the 1990s. I’m an anthropologist by degree and a participant observer by nature.
I primarily work as an independent consultant. Things I’m working on now:
- Supporting strategy and implementation of girl-centered programming that’s enhanced with mobile tools and services (with Girl Effect Mobile).
- Developing digital safety, security and privacy guidelines and practical processes, with a focus on adolescent girls (with Girl Effect Mobile).
- Exploring and distilling good practice in the use of ICTs for conducting monitoring and evaluation (M&E) (with Rockefeller Foundation).
- Supporting the development of a framework to better orient M&E of ICT-enabled programs (with Social Impact Lab).
- Fostering debate around narrative transparency and authenticity with regard to stereotyping in development communications and the media (with Regarding Humanity)
- Running Technology Salons in New York City and an annual conference on The Role of Technology for Monitoring and Evaluation (with Kurante).
- WhiteSave.Me – a technology and art project
Areas I’ve worked on in the past (and am still interested in!):
- Transparency and accountability, participatory governance, “feedback loops”
- Youth- and community-led development processes
- Child and youth migration and ICTs
- Mobile technologies and youth workforce development, youth employment, and youth entrepreneurship
- The role of new consumer-facing technology to support community resilience
Some publications I’ve worked on include an overview of how ICTs can be used in monitoring and evaluation for The Rockefeller Foundation’s Evaluation Office, a landscape review of Mobiles and Youth Workforce Development for the mEducation Alliance, a paper for UNICEF on integrating ICTs into communication for development work with adolescent girls, and an overview of the role of ICTs in child and youth migration. More detail on LinkedIn.
Contact me at lindaraftree [at] gmail [dot] com or @meowtree.