I’ve worked at the intersection of community development, participatory media, rights-based approaches and new information and communication technologies (ICTs) for almost 20 years, starting in El Salvador where I spent the 1990s.
This has included being involved on the ‘field’ side in translation, communications, programs, grants, administration, management, disaster response, youth media, and ICT4D. On the US side, I’ve worked in major and planned giving, program development, youth engagement, development education, research, strategy and innovation. I’m an anthropologist by degree and a participant observer by nature.
Areas of interest and focus:
- openness, transparency and accountability, participatory governance, “feedback loops”
- youth- and community-led development processes
- ethics in technology for aid and development (ET4AD)
- stereotyping in development communications and the media, post-colonial perceptions and behaviors in aid and development
- new technologies in M&E
- child and youth migration and ICTs
- gender and ICTs
- mobile technologies and youth workforce development, youth employment, youth entrepreneurship
- communication for development (C4D)
- disruption and change in the aid and development industry
I’m currently working part-time with Plan International USA and serving as a special advisor to the Rockefeller Foundation’s Evaluation Office. I convene Technology Salons in New York City and am a co-founder of Kurante, a start-up consulting firm. I’m a trusted friend to Project Restart and TechChange and serve on the board of the kiwanja Foundation and the International Center for Advocates against Discrimination. I’m a co-founder of the Regarding Humanity initiative, which advocates for more respectful, effective, collaborative, and engaging storytelling in aid and development. I recently completed a landscape review on Mobiles and Youth Workforce Development for the mEducation Alliance and a paper for UNICEF on integrating ICTs into communication for development work with adolescent girls. More detail on LinkedIn.
Contact me at lindaraftree [at] gmail [dot] com or @meowtree. Please be patient if I don’t respond immediately.